Published by Crown Archetype on 2011
Genres: Comedy, Essays, Humor
Buy on Amazon
Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I'll shut up about it?” Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you've come to the right book, mostly! In Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy invites readers on a tour of her life and her unscientific observations on romance, friendship, and Hollywood, with several conveniently placed stopping points for you to run errands and make phone calls. Mindy Kaling really is just a Girl Next Door—not so much literally anywhere in the continental United States, but definitely if you live in India or Sri Lanka.
I love funny women. I love reading their memoirs (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Lena Dunham). It was high time I read Mindy Kaling’s book. Well listen actually. I must say I think audiobook is the way to go for this and probably other memoirs like this. Getting to hear her tell super funny stories was awesome. She told us about her childhood, parents, college, starting in the business, working on The Office and all other sorts of stuff. We get stories, lists and some guest narrators.
Pretty much what I took out of this is that Mindy Kaling is pretty much my girl crush.
Um I mean best friend. Yeah, she would totally be my best friend. Here is why:
- She loves Rom Coms. ME TOO!
- She learned how to ride a bike pretty late, I never have – She can totally teach me.
- She so had the idea for an all female Ghostbusters WAY before they announced it so she is way psychic and its so unfair she isn’t in it
- She loves Amy Poehler – ME TOO!
- She love an Irish Exit – Leaving without saying goodbye. Um that is my specialty.
- She points out that men tie their shoes super slowly. MIND BLOWN.
- Her love for trying new diet/workout regiments is something I also find myself addicted to. (I start the 21 day fix next week!)
- She loves Coling Firth – ME TOO!
If you like funny ladies this book is for you. Totally suggest the audio. That is all.